January 4, 2013

Cheap and Healthy Lasagne Rolls


Who said lasagne has to be expensive and hard to make? I love to pull recipes from SkinnyTaste.com because they are all health conscious and there are tons of options, including "Skinny" desserts.

When I find a recipe I would like to try, I hardly ever follow the exact directions, mostly to cut on cost. Living in New York is expensive and you have to cut where ever possible. This is why I cook my own meals. Sometimes they are amazing and sometimes they might have needed a little more guidance. When you cook often enough, you can learn what you can skip out on and substitute ingredients with to make a meal cheaper and to go farther.

This lasagne roll recipe (click here) has been calling my name for a few days so I decided to get the ingredients while grocery shopping. I really like these because they are easy to store and they are perfect little serving sizes.

What was needed
  1. Store brand lasagne noodles - $1.99
  2. Box of frozen spinach - $1.50
  3. Tomato sauce - $1.79
  4. Cottage cheese - $2.49
    Total of $7.77
In the kitchen
  1. 1 egg
  2. Olive oil
  3. Tin foil (site suggests wax paper)
  4. Garlic
  5. Salt
  6. Pepper
Essentially, I took the Skinny Taste recipe and made it simpler. I love ricotta cheese, but the price scared me into substituting it with cottage cheese, which many people tend to do.

Make sure to boil your noodles with oil so they won't stick together or get too messy. I was lazy with my sauce, hence the reason why my picture isn't as pretty as it could be. I love garlic, so of course that had to be added into the cheese/spinach mixture.

The recipe isn't too complicated. If you were to make it exactly as it says, it would be ten times more delicious than my lazy rolls, but they were still good! And surprisingly easy.

This is perfect served with some corn or even ground turkey inside the rolls. The options are endless.

Enjoy!

Be Fierce!!

Briauna Mariah (:

No comments:

Post a Comment