August 31, 2014

You won't believe this low carb breakfast option!

I've embarked on a low carb adventure for my overall health and today I found out how delicious tuna patties can be! Since this is also a very affordable meal, I'm sharing it with my son - it contains all the types of foods and flavors he likes, is easy to make and will keep his cost down. It helps I just sent him a case of tuna for his birthday. The good stuff too - Albacore Tuna! 

Here is the original recipe I found on genaw.com:


TUNA PATTIES
2 6-ounce cans tuna, drained
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, 1/2 ounce
2 tablespoons oil and/or butter
Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl; chill at least 30 minutes. Heat the oil and a little butter in a large skillet on about medium heat. Drop the tuna mixture by large spoonfuls into the hot oil. Flatten slightly and shape into patties. Fry about 3-4 minutes on each side until well-browned. Flip them very gently and brown the other side. Serve with tarter sauce or sauce of your choice.
Makes 2-6 servings
Can be frozen

Per 1/2 recipe: 455 Calories; 40g Fat; 42g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 recipe: 228 Calories; 20g Fat; 21g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 recipe: 152 Calories; 13g Fat; 14g Protein; .5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs

I omitted the celery salt (I don't have any) and onion powder (I minced 1/4 of an onion instead) and used pepper jack cheese in place of the Parmesan to give it some kick. I determined it was easier to cook them in a non stick pan with PAM spray instead of oil. I didn't have time (I was too hungry) to let it chill for 30 mins but it still came out perfect.) I'm eating them now - and they are perfect balance of flavor and texture. Serve this with a green salad and you've got a perfect low carb lunch or dinner. I'm sure you could add minced garlic to bump up the flavor even more. 

Enjoy! I'll be sharing more as I continue on this low carb food adventure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment