August 16, 2011

"Take out" free zone!



Asian food has always been a mystery of flavors and textures that I love! I am slowly unlocking the mysteries in my very own kitchen.

One of my favorite Asian soups has always been hot and sour soup. I was sure the creation of such a complex mix of flavors and textures must be something so complicated I wouldn't be able to make it at home. I was so sure of this, I had never even looked up any recipes - instead just enjoying the flavors when we went out to eat Chinese food at overpriced local eateries. 

Just before I added the egg drop
I finally found this hot and sour soup recipe and decided to try it myself. 

The clerk at the store had no idea what "wood ears" was. Since it wasn't with the Asian food and the clerk couldn't help me - I gave up and went for canned Shitake mushroom slices instead. This was also my first time purchasing tofu of any kind. 

The finished soup
I already had some home made (regular, not Chinese as this recipe describes.) chicken stock so I used that in this recipe. I also didn't have pork, nor have I ever tasted hot and sour soup with pork - so I decided to use cubed turkey breast I already had. Other than that, I followed the recipe and I was not disappointed. It tasted almost exactly like what I eat at my favorite restaurant. 

my secret family chicken stir fry recipe
I'm sure with some additional practice, and maybe these "wood ears" and Chinese chicken stock - it would be even more authentic. 

I served it with my favorite chicken stir fry recipe - which is mostly improvised with ginger, soy, brown sugar, sesame and chili paste thickened with cornstarch. 

Since I only used 1/2 of the tofu I bought, I'm excited to try another "first" with that this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment